20 Jan Hands On Country Eco Tour
Hands On Country Eco Tour
Travel in a small group fully hosted by Traditional Owners from the Mandingalbay clan of the Yidinji Nation discovering a stunning wetland environment just 10 minutes cruise across the Cairns Harbour from the city centre. Cruise up Hills Creek lined with mangrove forests and at low tide when the muddy banks are exposed, you might sea our famous salt water crocodiles who call this river home. This tour gives you exclusive access to an Indigenous Protected Reserve, an environment full of fish, birdlife and stories.
Once on the other side a short bus ride takes you to a working Indigenous Ranger base from where the Mayi Bugan Rainforest Trail begins. Join your Indigenous Guides to discover native foods and bush medicines, as well as ancient Aboriginal traditions, customs, and artefacts. Enjoy light refreshments surrounded by the sounds of nature before returning to the Cairns Harbour arriving at the Marina close to the CBD, shops, restaurants and cafes.
- 0845 at the Mooz Gelato and Juice Bar – Marina Point, 5/2 Pier Point Rd, Cairns. Look for our A-Frame sign out front of the cafe. Our guides will meet you there, and walk you down to our river cruise vessel.
- Currently departing from Finger Wharf C at the Cairns Marlin Marina
- Sturdy, covered flat footwear, sun protection (a hat and sunscreen) and insect repellent (also supplied).
- Bottle of water (no plastics please), hat, sunscreen, personal insect repellent, closed in shoes good for enough for a short bush walk, poncho or light waterproofs if raining, camera and any prescribed medications
- Guided river cruise across the stunning waters of the Cairns Harbour.
- Exclusive access to an Indigenous Protected Reserve
- Mandingalbay Yidinji traditional welcome either through smoke or marking the face with traditional paint.
- Bus tour through the mangroves, wetlands, and market gardens
- Guided Mayi Bugan Rainforest Trail. Discover bush foods, tools, and medicine as well as sites of cultural significance.
- Morning Tea with local fruits
- Return transfer by vessel to Cairns Marlin Marina